HISTORY OF GOVT. SPMR COLLEGE OF COMMERCE:
Dr Karan Singh, the visionary Sader-e-Riyasat founded the College in the memory of late. His Highness Maharaja Pratap Singh of Jammu and Kashmir State and named it Sri Pratap Memorial Rajput College of Commerce in 1955. Dr Karan Singh introduced the Commerce stream for the first time in the state. Today Govt. SPMR College is prestigious name in the discipline of Commerce.
At the inception , the College was housed in the Ajab Ghar building behind the new secretariat and at a later stage it was shifted to the then Police Complex near Jogi Gate in 1962 and functioned there till 1978. The State Government took over this College on 30th September 1974, and rechristened as Govt. SPMR College of Commerce, Jammu.
The College has been fortunate from its infancy to have been headed by an array of illustrious Principals for its all round developments. The first Principal of this College was a renowned teacher, Professor M.L Shandilya of Sri Ram College of Commerce, New Delhi. He was at the helm of affairs from June 1955 to 2nd February 1959. There after Professor G.P Singh took hold of the reins of the College and made it a seat of genuine learning during its formative and development phase.
Of late, this College has brought in numerous changes to keep pace with the changing scenario in business studies and can boost, without exaggeration, to offer the best academic, professional as well as vocational fields in the state. Govt. SPMR College of Commerce, which is now a Constituent College of the Cluster University of Jammu. Is proud of its alumni who are well known faces in the crowd by their sheer dedication and dint of hard work in their respective fields, there by serving as a beacon light for the present generation of youth whom this College offers a variety of career oriented courses and opportunities.
The College is committed to prepare young managers for facing the inevitable challenge aliasing for the advent of pritivatization and global liberalization it will push its infrastructure and academic development programme at much greater speed to increase the capability and competence of the students so that they can face the ever developing fields of software technology and also build up skills to brave the constant prevalence of multinational companies in our country. The College will equip itself to support the students wanting to excel in their respective fields in due course of time the College will fashion itself as a core, a center of technological and Business Entrepreneurship. It is the only Institutions which specialize in the field of Commerce, Management and information Technology.
OUR STRENGTH IS REFLECLTED BY THE FOLLOWING INDICATORS:
- Being a co-educational institution, the college is committed to gender parity and communal harmony.
- Special provisions for SC/ST and other category students in academics.
- Well equipped hostel for Male Students.
- Academic access to students from urban/ rural areas.
- Well organized departments NSS and NCC.
- Regular Industrial visits for the students.
- Seminars, Conferences, workshops and training programmes for all students in general and for BBA, BCA, M.Com, Integrated M.Com and PGDBM in particular
- Coaching classes conducted for Competitive Exams.
- College Placement Cell provides employability to students through Udaan and other corporate recruitment agencies.
- Entrepreneurial Development Programme organized Under Directorate of Micro and Small Industry.
- Promotion of skills like Theatre, Painting, Photography, Debating, Creative Writing etc.
- The sports wing of the college provides ample opportunities to develop sportsmanship by involving the students in various State and National level Meets.
- Educational / Subject tours conducted for students of the College.
- Alumni Meets organized by the College.
- Remedial classes conducted on regular basis for weak students.
- Guest/ Expert Faculty regularly invited for delivering lecturers.
- Internal Quality Assurance Cell pro-actively functions in the College.